JamesG

Tesseract Thoughts

I was introduced to books in 5th Grade when our teacher read us A Wrinkle In Time. Never really looked back.

Embassytown
China MiƩville
Progress: 189/345 pages
Bossypants
Tina Fey
The Split Second (The Seems Series #2)
Michael Wexler, John Hulme
David Sedaris
Lud-in-the-Mist
Hope Mirrlees

Solomon's Porch

Solomon's Porch - Wid Bastian The cover declares this to be a "Christian suspense" novel. I suppose that describes a portion of the story, but the suspense was not very intense, and unfortunately it never resolved! If this was book one of a trilogy, I could at least accept the leave-you-hanging ending, but I have seen no such claim.

The story is of a white-collar embezzler who was caught, and while serving time receives a vision from the Archangel Gabriel. This starts a personal ministry, and brings together a collection of "apostles" that begin to change the lives of many, and culminates in a world-wide demonstration of God's power.

There are some interesting theological conversations, and lots of feel-good moments, but the novel ends just as Satan is starting to build his resistance forces.

The writing is good, although there are some very abrupt scene changes in the middle of chapters. The characters are varied, and mostly interesting, but I find it hard to recommend this book since we don't find the ends to so many story lines.