JamesG

Tesseract Thoughts

I was introduced to books in 5th Grade when our teacher read us A Wrinkle In Time. Never really looked back.

Embassytown
China Miéville
Progress: 189/345 pages
Bossypants
Tina Fey
The Split Second (The Seems Series #2)
Michael Wexler, John Hulme
Naked
David Sedaris
Lud-in-the-Mist
Hope Mirrlees
The Glimpse - Grant Carroll A Christian sci-fi book? I wasn't sure what to expect, but with all the free Kindle books Amazon offers I have been reading a wider variety of titles than normal.

So the story is pretty simple -- two twenty-ish Christian couples who are struggling with thinking they are having an impact on the lives of the children they teach and tutor and whisked to an alternate universe where Christianity is outlawed. Small groups of school students are holding prayer sessions with scraps of bibles and bits of music. Our couples come on the scene like wise spiritual leaders and help build a revival.

All of that is pretty formulaic, but the spread of the news of the revivals is pretty interesting, and there is a significant antagonist who is anything but typical: He provides a real threat to both the students, and the young couples.

Around 3/4 of the way through the book, as the tensions started mounting, and the enemy started putting together a formidable battle plan I had the horrible feeling that I missed the fact that this was the first book in some future-battle trilogy. My second thought was that there was going to be some heavenly intervention to save the day.

To Mr. Carroll's credit neither of these was true, and yet the ending was powerful, surprising, believable and really solidified the book as a very good read.

I am sure the heavy Christian themes will turn off many, but it was a well-written book, and the interaction between the young couples was touching and realistic.