JamesG

Tesseract Thoughts

I was introduced to books in 5th Grade when our teacher read us A Wrinkle In Time. Never really looked back.

Embassytown
China MiƩville
Progress: 189/345 pages
Bossypants
Tina Fey
The Split Second (The Seems Series #2)
Michael Wexler, John Hulme
Naked
David Sedaris
Lud-in-the-Mist
Hope Mirrlees
Mockingjay - Collins Suzanne I have read a lot of trilogies, and this one ends a little weakly. The first book is by far the strongest of the three.

In the final book of a trilogy we expect the show-down, the climax, the resolution; with lots of action and satisfaction for all the tension building across the series. Unfortunately this book is lacking. The tension does resolve, but more with a little whimper than a thunderclap.

This book is about war, growing up, tough choices and politics (I may be giving Collins too much credit here), but you need to connect with the protagonist; understand the internal struggles and motivations; and feel there is growth and learning. I just didn't get that.

I am trying to allow for the YA angle here, but while Collins chooses some atrocities that are shocking, other aspects are just glossed-over. It is like watching a war documentary where you quickly zoom in to catch a single child being blown to bits, but then immediately cut to the barracks and the soldiers having lunch.

Sorry to all you Jabberjays, but I would have been happier just stopping after Hunger Games.