JamesG

Tesseract Thoughts

I was introduced to books in 5th Grade when our teacher read us A Wrinkle In Time. Never really looked back.

Embassytown
China MiƩville
Progress: 189/345 pages
Bossypants
Tina Fey
The Split Second (The Seems Series #2)
Michael Wexler, John Hulme
Naked
David Sedaris
Lud-in-the-Mist
Hope Mirrlees
Flashforward - Robert J. Sawyer I picked this up on the premise from the TV show, but didn't like the show, so wasn't sure about the book. The book is *much* better. This is a hard-science, speculative, interesting story about an experiment at the Large Hadron Collider that causes humanity to experience a little over 2 minutes of a future 21 years out.

The chaos and destruction caused by this event are just the beginning of the story as the conversation turns to what people saw, or didn't see, the economic ramifications (lawsuits, insurance policies, product patents, etc.), the lives either fulfilled or unfulfilled, and then leads to extensive conversations on the immutability of the future.

The story really gets interesting when the U.N. agrees to allow the same team to repeat the experiment (this time with the entire world in a state of preparation.)

I enjoyed this story more than I expected, and was quite surprised by all the angles, both scientific and personal, that Mr. Sawyer includes. A fun, fast read that is well worth the time (no pun intended.)