JamesG

Tesseract Thoughts

I was introduced to books in 5th Grade when our teacher read us A Wrinkle In Time. Never really looked back.

Embassytown
China MiƩville
Progress: 189/345 pages
Bossypants
Tina Fey
The Split Second (The Seems Series #2)
Michael Wexler, John Hulme
Naked
David Sedaris
Lud-in-the-Mist
Hope Mirrlees
Olive Kitteridge - Elizabeth Strout This did not appear to be my cup of tea at all. A short-story collection about a cranky old lady, by an author I was not aware of. Yet there was that Pulitzer Prize logo on the cover, and I am a sucker for award winners.

What a delightful surprise! Ms. Strout is a wonderful writer, and this collection of stories centers around the residents of a small New England town and loosely hangs together through the character of Olive Kitteridge.

This is perhaps the antithesis of YA fiction, as the stories deal with old age, long marriages and death; and while that sounds like the recipe for a depressing read, there is life and humor and love filling the pages. I felt connected with all these people, and greatly enjoyed the ride.

My only hesitation in the fifth star is that it truly is a short-story collection, and I just do not get the connected whole that I get from a novel. I will be sure to check out something else by Ms. Strout and won't hesitate if the topic is not within my usual range.