JamesG

Tesseract Thoughts

I was introduced to books in 5th Grade when our teacher read us A Wrinkle In Time. Never really looked back.

Embassytown
China MiƩville
Progress: 189/345 pages
Bossypants
Tina Fey
The Split Second (The Seems Series #2)
Michael Wexler, John Hulme
Naked
David Sedaris
Lud-in-the-Mist
Hope Mirrlees
Dream Park - Larry Niven, Steven Barnes I read this book the first time right after the book was released, and loved it. I have been meaning to go back and read it again in the past 30 years, but never quite got around to it. Funny, that in my memory of the story, it was very similar to Jurassic Park, and I was quite surprised to realize that the premise was a actually a gaming fantasy park (as in Dungeons & Dragons) and not prehistoric dinosaurs!

That makes sense when I think back to what everyone around me was into at the time, and explains why I probably liked it so much. Is it odd then that I liked it almost just as much this time around? The fantasy gaming was so advanced at the time, yet it isn't far beyond the current real technologies of Disney parks, and 3D movies, and the foundation of the story is a good old-fashioned whodunit murder mystery.

Nice cast of characters, with a fun fantasy setting, and Mr. Niven has always been one of my favorite SF writers. I never realized there were sequels! Now I have something new to look for.