JamesG

Tesseract Thoughts

I was introduced to books in 5th Grade when our teacher read us A Wrinkle In Time. Never really looked back.

Embassytown
China Miéville
Progress: 189/345 pages
Bossypants
Tina Fey
The Split Second (The Seems Series #2)
Michael Wexler, John Hulme
Naked
David Sedaris
Lud-in-the-Mist
Hope Mirrlees
The City & the City - China Miéville I have been waiting for a while to read a Mieville. Finally found this one in a little book store in Ocean City, Maryland and grabbed it. I had read the cover blurb a dozen times and still couldn't figure out what this was going to be.

Two cities, same place, some process to get from one to the other. Is this time travel, metaphysical, multidimensional; or perhaps some esoteric handling of two stories in the same place in different times? I was intrigued.

The reality is so much more interesting than any one of those, yet not quite any of them. And just as you are starting to understand the two cities and "crosshatching" and "unseeing" we learn of Breach (both the verb and the noun) and ancient history, and the cleavage and even a possible alien involvement.

Yet, the story is a murder mystery. Standard hard-code inspector-and-sidekick investigation and interviews, plots and counter-plots. Not my normal genre by any means, but in this context I was fascinated.

I have forgotten the characters names, and even some of the plot twists, but I cannot stop thinking of these two cities. I love the acceptance of what is, and that while the story resolves, you are left with so many unanswered questions by the end of the novel.

I look forward anxiously to the next book of Mr. Mieville's I can get my hands on!