JamesG

Tesseract Thoughts

I was introduced to books in 5th Grade when our teacher read us A Wrinkle In Time. Never really looked back.

Embassytown
China MiƩville
Progress: 189/345 pages
Bossypants
Tina Fey
The Split Second (The Seems Series #2)
Michael Wexler, John Hulme
Naked
David Sedaris
Lud-in-the-Mist
Hope Mirrlees
The Ask - Sam Lipsyte This book is two parts hilarious, three parts wonderfully written, and four parts annoying. I suppose that puts it closer to a 3.5 stars, but it will take me a while to get over the whining of the main character Milo.

Did you ever work with someone with a continuously depressed attitude? One of those coworkers that always responded to a "good morning" with a "what's so good about it?", and always complained about whatever task they might be doing? Well I have. And this reads like the autobiography of someone very much like that. While Mr. Lipsyte's writes words about life, work, friends and marriage with wit and humor, Milo seems to not understand his own observations.

Personally, I got tired of the attitude. I know this was a fictional character, but he frustrated me. By the end of the story, I felt that Milo wound up in a better place than he deserved. Or maybe he just wound up in the corner office of my building; it certainly sounds like him.

I can recommend the writing, and I certainly found the book humorous, but I am not sure I can take another novel by Mr. Lipsyte. Perhaps I just need to find one of his stories with a plot a little further from my average middle class life.