JamesG

Tesseract Thoughts

I was introduced to books in 5th Grade when our teacher read us A Wrinkle In Time. Never really looked back.

Embassytown
China MiƩville
Progress: 189/345 pages
Bossypants
Tina Fey
The Split Second (The Seems Series #2)
Michael Wexler, John Hulme
Naked
David Sedaris
Lud-in-the-Mist
Hope Mirrlees
Boneshaker - Cherie Priest I bought this book a while ago, and have been hesitant to start it because I just couldn't figure out what the story was going to be -- and it is a big book.

Boy am I glad I finally cracked the cover. I was hooked on the first page (the very first page!) because of a sentence describing the lack of gold in the gold rush that said "...and truth travels slowly when rumors have wings of gold."

From then on I just fell into the wonderful writing and story-telling and let the strange tale of a walled Seattle, filled with deadly yellow blight and rotters, take me away.

If I could I think I would give this a 4.5. That last half point is taken off for just something that felt like it was missing from the story. It might have been the lack of a real antagonist, or the fact that I couldn't quite figure out the two main characters, or the mysterious rotters that were never quite explained, but it only detracted slightly from a great novel.

It looks like I am already two books behind in the Clockwork Century series, and I certainly won't hesitate to start the next one!