JamesG

Tesseract Thoughts

I was introduced to books in 5th Grade when our teacher read us A Wrinkle In Time. Never really looked back.

Embassytown
China MiƩville
Progress: 189/345 pages
Bossypants
Tina Fey
The Split Second (The Seems Series #2)
Michael Wexler, John Hulme
Naked
David Sedaris
Lud-in-the-Mist
Hope Mirrlees
People of the Book - Geraldine Brooks Well I must admit that Ms. Brooks sure can write! This is a really nice read on the history of a small illustrated Jewish religious book. The story covers over 500 years of history through four vignettes along with a arc story to ties it all together.

I found the stories of the history of the book fascinating, and learned much history through the characters, settings and environments. However, the four stories were also my gripe with the book: since each story was different characters in a different time, this was less a novel than a set of short stories with a wrapper.

Those that compare this with The Da Vinci Code haven't read one of the two books! The slight political story that runs through the book is really just a fifth story of the book in the current time than it is a tale of intrigue.

I will be sure to check out Ms. Brooks' book March based on my enjoyment of this book.