JamesG

Tesseract Thoughts

I was introduced to books in 5th Grade when our teacher read us A Wrinkle In Time. Never really looked back.

Embassytown
China MiƩville
Progress: 189/345 pages
Bossypants
Tina Fey
The Split Second (The Seems Series #2)
Michael Wexler, John Hulme
Naked
David Sedaris
Lud-in-the-Mist
Hope Mirrlees
Into the Wild - Jon Krakauer I was a little disappointed with this book. I expected more details of Chris' life on the road, and the details of his solitude in Alaska, but apparently there isn't much of a record. Instead we are regaled with stories of other adventurers (including the author) who have slipped off the grid to attempt to commune with nature, tackle a wilderness feat, or simply head off on an expedition.

Much time is spent trying to work out the "why" of this privileged life that ended so sadly. In this area I think Mr. Krakauer has come to understand Chris, and does share some insights into why his death wasn't a veiled suicide, or an act of supreme ignorance, but rather the enthusiasm of youth; and an adventure that ended simply due to the power and circumstance of nature.

The book seemed to stretch out the material, and while I found the story intriguing, I but couldn't help thinking a magazine feature would have been as satisfying.