JamesG

Tesseract Thoughts

I was introduced to books in 5th Grade when our teacher read us A Wrinkle In Time. Never really looked back.

Embassytown
China MiƩville
Progress: 189/345 pages
Bossypants
Tina Fey
The Split Second (The Seems Series #2)
Michael Wexler, John Hulme
Naked
David Sedaris
Lud-in-the-Mist
Hope Mirrlees
The Men Who Stare at Goats - Jon Ronson When I saw there was a book behind this movie, I figured there had to be something in the book that was interesting enough to inspire a movie. The fact that the movie wasn't very good made me really curious about the book.

This is a fascinating book. I think that it fades just a touch near the end, but Mr. Ronson does a wonderful job of taking all these little tidbits of information and weaving them into a story about the government's motivation and methods towards changing the image of the military after Vietnam.

I remember hearing about the CIA feeding LSD to agents while I was in college, and while those stories are included here, they are actually the weakest of all the tales.

Most fascinating was the thread that connected the subjects of the book with two of the pilots of the 9/11 attacks.

I read this quickly and really enjoyed the subject-matter: From "sticky foam" in Somalia to Fleetwood Mac in Guantanamo the topics range far wider than just staring at goats!