JamesG

Tesseract Thoughts

I was introduced to books in 5th Grade when our teacher read us A Wrinkle In Time. Never really looked back.

Embassytown
China MiƩville
Progress: 189/345 pages
Bossypants
Tina Fey
The Split Second (The Seems Series #2)
Michael Wexler, John Hulme
Naked
David Sedaris
Lud-in-the-Mist
Hope Mirrlees
The Hunger Games - Suzanne  Collins I have been waiting to read this for months, and not only did I finally get to read it, it was my first e-book! I'm not sure which I was more excited about!

One result of that excitement is that I read the book quickly (for me) and so it only lasted a few days. I have struggled with speedier reading over the years, but I have found that I like to savor the pages. I like to ponder passages and characters, and even a break for a day or two doesn't phase me. So the fact that this book was less than memorable to me is hard to decipher.

I liked Kat and her story. I found it a little difficult to relate to her, but could certainly understand her. The story was told nicely, there was certainly plenty of excitement, and I felt myself flying through the book. I was enjoying the ride, but...

I have read that Ms. Collins explores the effects of war on children. I cannot imagine a more difficult topic to tackle, and I can see that in the story. The problem is that I am too old to ignore the exploitation and devastation to these children and their families; to the corruption and the manipulations of the Capitol politicians. I cannot just focus on the adventures and heroism of Kat without all these other thoughts running through my mind.

I am trying to decide if I want to read the next two books. I hope that Kat brings about some change in her land, and I hope there is a happy ending for Kat; but these are not the typical outcomes of children in war. Perhaps the ride will be worth it?