JamesG

Tesseract Thoughts

I was introduced to books in 5th Grade when our teacher read us A Wrinkle In Time. Never really looked back.

Embassytown
China MiƩville
Progress: 189/345 pages
Bossypants
Tina Fey
The Split Second (The Seems Series #2)
Michael Wexler, John Hulme
Naked
David Sedaris
Lud-in-the-Mist
Hope Mirrlees
Life Expectancy - Dean Koontz I remember the day my son decided he really wanted to go to school with his clear umbrella with pink dinosaurs. He was maybe 6 or 7 and I couldn't tell him it was a bad idea. I couldn't explain that the other little boys might not understand why he liked it so much. I wasn't home when he came home, but the umbrella went into his closet and never saw the light of day again. To me that was a very sad day. The fact that I can even remember that specific day almost 20 years ago puts it pretty high on my "saddest days" list.

So what are the 5 most terrible days of my life? I'm not really sure; but I know the list is different today than it was 10 years ago, and probably will be different again ten years from now.

So Dean Koontz needs to carefully craft the story of Jimmy Tock, who has a list of five terrible dates in his life as prognosticated by his grandfather on the date of his birth.

Jimmy is the son of a great pastry chef and member of an entertaining little family unit, and leads a pretty normal life up until the age of 20, and to the first date on his grandfather's list. From that point on the story is a roller coaster ride, that I can't even describe without giving away plot lines.

I found the book easy to read and entertaining, and Mr. Koontz certainly knows how to crank up the paranoia, but I never really connected with Jimmy. By the end of the book, I didn't really care what was going to happen, and I was tired of the little preachy interludes.

I will say that I really enjoyed the ending. I found my own meaning and humor in that, and hope I took it as intended by Mr. Koontz.

I struggled between 3 and 4 starts on this one, and landed on 3 stars only because of my apathy for the protagonist by the end of the book.